Thursday, April 12, 2012

What's New With Us

I am a slacker! 

In December we headed off to Utah for mom and dad's anniversary.  Yep!  50 years!!  I hope I get to do that.   We also got to spend the holidays there.  We took an "extra" with us to Utah.  Katie Bond and Matt "officially" got engaged in Utah.  She will be a wonderful addition to our family.  It was great to see Chris and Alex who are attending BYU Provo.  Ashley and Travis made it for the party as well as Travis' parents.  They were helping Ash and Travis move back to Houston after we all attended Travis' graduation at BYU Idaho in Rexburg.  Scott (my brother) and Bridget spent the holidays in Utah as well.  We had my whole family together for Mom and Dad's party.  We even saw a few people from our childhood that have moved to Utah over the years.  It was great fun.  I think Mom and Dad had fun and that was the goal.

In February my uncle passed away.  Rob was able to help out a lot with arrangements.  We were fortunate enough to host my parents, uncle and one aunt here at the house.  It was a beautiful day for the funeral, quite unnatural for February in Washington. After that I was able to make a Mom/Grandma trip to Houston.  We planned a surprise for Ashley.  Boy, was it hard to keep that a secret.  I almost slipped up and so did Nena but when it came right down to it we succeeded in surprising her.  Brent picked me up from the airport and when we walked in Ashley wasn't in the room but when she heard Brent's voice she came out of the pantry with Austin.  I was standing right where she could see me but she was holding Austin's hands as they walked out and then she looked up while she was talking to Austin about Grandpa being home.  It was PRICELESS!!!  She actually started tearing up.  She handed off Austin and came running across the room.  It was totally worth the 5 hour flight!  We had an awesome week together. They took me shopping all over Houston.  My favorite 2 shops were Charming Charlie's and Things Remembered.  I got to go for walks with Nena a few times in the mornings before Ashley and Austin were up.  You know, it is warm in Houston in February!  When I came home it snowed!!  Dislike!

In March we were fortunate to be able to get seats every night of the HS play "Grease".  Taylor was in the ensemble.  He got to dance and sing and have a blast.  He even had a solo in one of the songs.  We loved seeing him every night!  We even hosted a cast party here at the house.  It is always sad when the play ends.  It was hard watching them tear down the set on the last night.  It was like watching a friend die.  But Taylor already tried out and got in another play.  He will be in the student directed play in May.  The play is "Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog".  On the last night of the play he was also asked to Prom. 

April brought an Easter with just Taylor.  That was a little different for us.  Taylor and I hunted Easter eggs in the front yard.  The eggs were camouflage.  Oh, my heck, that was tough!!  I think I am too old for that.  We also got a new dishwasher.  The old one was screaming every time we turned it on.  Some day all of the appliances will be stainless steel.  I totally love it.

Earlier in the Spring there was a bridal open house at Cama Beach State Park.  I was asked to bring some cakes.  The caterer loved my cakes and now I am wholesaling wedding cakes for some of the weddings there.  How exciting is that!! I hope I can keep up with that.

Katie and Matt are getting married Labor Day weekend.  I am making a gluten free cake for them and regular cupcakes for the centerpieces on all the tables at the ring ceremony.  We are working to get the yard all put together for an open house on August 24th.  I have bought a few plants, moved some plants around, and ripped some totally out.  It sure is nice here when the weather cooperates!

1 comment:

  1. Love Charming Charlies!!! Wow you are going to be busy, but how exciting. Congrats to Matt that will be fun. I assume the wedding is in Washington...right?

    ReplyDelete