Sunday, October 16, 2011

I didn't drop off the face of the earth!

Although, I must admit it seems like it.  I just haven't felt like I had anything to say that anyone would care about! And you probably won't care now either but at least you looked!  :-)

Harley is gone!  That was a very tough time for us.  He really is part of the family. He had had a really tough week and we were planning to kennel him for our trip to Rexburg for Austin's baby blessing.  When push came to shove we ended up putting him down instead of boarding him.  He lived so much longer than they told us he would when he was diagnosed.  On his last day we took him outside to visit all his favorite places.  He got to go see the pigs and the chickens.  He went over to the neighbors and looked in their back door.  It was all so sad for us and he probably didn't know what was going on.  Rob stayed home with me that day and we went in together.  We know we made the right decision but here 5 months later it just makes me cry.  I think we are done having pets.  That was the hardest thing we have ever done.

Back to the present!  I just returned from Portland.  Rob walked his first half marathon!  He did an amazing job.  He finished 15 minutes faster than he planned on.  It was dry when he started but it didn't stay that way. Fortunately, it never soaked them but it sprinkled and showered most of the time.  Taylor and I walked all over Portland while we waited for Rob to come in.  We did find a place and waited for Rob to walk by.  It was around the 4 mile mark.  That was the last we saw him.  He his cell with him and would send out an occassional text which I would then relay to our family.  We did find Voodoo Donuts.  They were featured on the Food Network once.  We waited in line there for 45 minutes.  The donuts were okay but the shop was cool.

Before heading out to Portland I staffed a Woodbadge training course for BSA.  I had never done anything like that before.  I don' t know that I was all that good a staffer but I learned a lot about myself and that made it good for me.  I could do it again in the future with a bit more confidence...if they ever ask me!

It looks as if there will be another wedding in our future.  When that is all official I will write about it.  It won't be until next fall so there is plenty of time.

I am gearing up to help with my parents 50th Wedding Anniversary celebration in December.  We will be heading to Utah for our Christmas break where we (with my siblings) will host a party for my parents in Salem on December 22nd.  Karen and I have had fun planning this.  There is still much to do. Rob and I also helped with his parents' 50th celebration this summer in Pueblo.  It was great fun to see everyone again.  A word to the wise for you bakers out there.  When the box of cake mix says to adjust for altitude...it is a good idea to follow that direction!!  I learned the hard way.

Fall made us almost empty nesters.  Yep, Taylor is the only one left at home.  It is pretty quiet here. Scheduling things is a lot easier when we don't have to have 5 people in 5 different places with only 3 cars!!  I am not saying it is a snap but it isn't rocket science anymore!

Thanks for taking a moment to share my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment