Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Outage!

Yes! We live in a place where power outages are ...commonplace, not like a third world country, but sometimes I feel like we travel back in time 150 years!

It started all innocently enough.  Lightning and thunder!  It was great what a show!  We don't have lightning all that often here so it is a treat. Well, the wind kicked up and boy, did it pour.  Torrential would be appropriately used in this situation.

We were settled in to watch our Monday night programs on tv.  I was chatting with my daughter on Facebook.  We turn on the tv and the brown outs begin.  We had hope that it would be nothing. At 8:20 the lights went out!  Totally bummed about missing our show.  How silly that seems now!  Anyhow, we found some candles and gathered all the flashlights.  After getting this all lit and we could see our way around the house, we decided to go to bed.  What else is there?

So the kids slept in and didn't make it to school.  I believe that had more to do with the inability to take showers than anything else.  No one was allowed to open the fridge.  We were hoping all day that the power would return.  No luck! 

Tay did make it to his Salsa class.  I went with him.  We picked up a $5 pizza for dinner.  You know, I am not really a fan of $5 pizza for any reason other than convenience.  I am sure I will see it on the scale when I weigh in at TOPS on Thursday.  The whole way home from class we are silently praying for electricity.  We saw lights the whole way home until we turned down our street.  I think we have been here before.  Two years ago we were a week without electricity.  Not fun but we did learn a lot.

Rob woke me at 3 am.  The lights were on!!  Hurray!  I reset the alarms to get the kids up in time for Seminary.  I thought about turning on the dishwasher that had been full with soap in the dispenser since dinner on Monday evening.  I dismissed that thought as silly.  Are you reading into that yet?  You should be.

At 7 am the power went out again.  Now we are all discouraged.  Fortunately, Rob and Tay got a shower in.  I woke Al but he said to wake him at 7:30.  I did take one of those 90 second showers after the power went off.  You know the kind, you turn the water on and then off, do your business and flip the water back on.  At least my hair was clean now and I didn't get that cold water headache!

At 8am the power came back on.  I am not holding my breath now that the power will remain all day, but the dishwasher has run and I did get Taylor's laundry rewashed.  I am hoping that the next storm will be kinder to us but if not, I know where all the candles are!

No comments:

Post a Comment